Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece Released

With a new blog comes getting to know your hosts. I think that makes it easier for the reader to attach themselves to the blog in question, right? Knowing what makes each particular writer tick only helps you guys in the end. Danielle has her platformers and self-obsessed geekdom, Brandon loves toys and food, Mike has seen every horror film ever made, Todd has an unhealthy Felicia Day fetish, and I love ancient history. I just read a great book on the Second Punic War called The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic which is an easy read and details the ins and outs of one of the most important moments in history.

So, that said, Longbow Games has released its Gold Edition of its terribly unappreciated yet anciently awesome real time strategy game Hegemony: Philip of Macedon, dubbed Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece. Check out the website for the details and watch the trailer. This indie game is really, really good. If you want more info check out Troy’s review of the original.

6 Responses to “Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece Released”

1. grykearney February 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

I know where you’re coming from, Bill. Playing the demo of Hannibal got me reading Livy’s book on the Second Punic War, which has been sitting on my bookshelf unread, except for the occasional browsing, for about 25 years. It’s a bit tedious in places, but he’s great with the little vignettes. I always thought of the the Romans as hardheaded realists. I had no idea that they were so superstitious, even to the point where it might have been detrimental to their strategy and tactics. I also bought the Hegemony game on the last Steam sale and am really looking forward to it. I’ll probably end up reading Arrian or one of the other ancient commentators on Alexander just to fill in the history.

2. Bill Abner February 24, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

You know I always wanted to read Livy, and the Greek historian Plutarch but never have. I really should do that.

There were so many eye openers in the Cannae book for me and yes the superstitions were one of them and that his elephants were even LESS useful than I had assumed. I always knew they were more for show but man…

3. Plankton February 25, 2011 at 3:52 am #

I’m also a big fan of history. The demo of Hegemony was really cool. I liked how they implemented the historical narrative into the game. I just haven’t gotten around to buying and playing the game yet. First I need to become King in Mount & Blade though.

I think there are reasons why people overlook the Roman superstitious nature and all the crazy rites they had. There is a tendency to romanticise (hehe) the Romans and to look for similarities to our culture. Much of Western culture is based on Roman accomplishments, but that doesn’t change the fact that they were people with different moral values and strange customs.
    People probably also fail to distinguish between late Republican and late Imperial Romans, for instance. Vastly different cultures. For one, they had introduced a completely different religion. And the thought that Romans were essentially a Christian culture, just like us, makes them seem even less strange.
    In any case, there is ofcourse the famous story of the sacred chickens during the First Punic War:
    “Pulcher performed the inspection of the omens for the battle, according to Roman religious tradition. The method ascribed for the situation was investigating the feeding behaviour of the sacred chickens, on board for that purpose. If the chickens accepted the offered grain, then the Gods would be favourable to the battle. However, in that particular morning of 249 BC, the chickens refused to eat – a horrific omen. Confronted with the unexpected and having to deal with the superstitious and now terrified crews, Pulcher quickly figured an alternative interpretation. He threw the sacred chickens overboard, directly into the Mediterranean, saying, Let them drink, since they don’t wish to eat.”
    He lost the battle :D

Then you have people like Julius Caesar who held the title of Pontifex Maximus, which meant that he was able to interpret (or fabricate) omen in a way that would favour him in battle.

In contrast, the Greek philosophies also made their way into Roman culture and there were parts of Roman society that were sceptics and stoics and so on, and were probably not quite as superstitious as the “common” Roman

4. Troy Goodfellow February 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Man, do I need *another* book on this topic? Sigh. On your recommendation, I’ll look for it.

Damn you.

5. Troy Goodfellow February 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

Dude, gotta read Plutarch if only to understand how the writing of history and biography has changed. He is also the major source for what we know about a lot of historical figures – he was working from long lost sources so we have a rough idea what Cicero and Sulla were writing about in things now missing from the world.

Livy is a snooze.

6. entirecarhire March 24, 2011 at 11:58 pm #

When there is so much to see and do it is imperative to have the services of best car rental companies. Therefore Greece car hire provides a wide range of vehicles varying from economy cars to luxury autos so that you can choose what suits your requirements and enjoy a smooth ride.
    Dave Wilson