Duke Nukem Forever PAX Trailer

Sorry about the pre-trailer ads on this one.

Not going to lie, this does little for me. I was never a big time Duke fan regardless even back when he was relevant to gamers and today this just looks — tired. Definitely a “wait and see” game for me as I won’t be reviewing this one myself.

8 Responses to “Duke Nukem Forever PAX Trailer”

1. dragomort March 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

Didn’t see any pre-trailer ads on it, but they did pop up during the trailer in their little pop up box under the action. I will say, having it pop up a ‘see what happens when snapple employees have some downtime’ ad when Duke touches the vibrator was probably the high-point of the entire thing.

2. Bill Abner March 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

Yes I imagine it was. Yeah weird I saw an ad for RIFT before the vid started. Ah well.

3. garion333 March 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

…looks so boring to me.

4. Haply March 18, 2011 at 11:42 pm #

This video is getting bad comments across the board, but the funny upside of all this negativity, is that people only started discrediting this game when this terrible CoD-style action trailer was presented.

To me, this is better evidence than ever that we need to leave behind the unbearable military simulators forever, and get back to real FPS games, in the style of old-school Doom and Duke.

Environment variety
    Weapon variety
    Enemy variety
    No hand holding

Any day now, gentlemen. Emergent gameplay requires the inclusion of ‘gameplay.‘ Machine guns and terrorists were never good enough. The only people who were willing to play those games were the young ones, those who had never seen anything better.

5. dranore March 19, 2011 at 8:21 am #

I was very confused when there was an insinuation that it was “finally done”. They’re trying to capitalize on the idea that this is some great game that took a long time to make a-la-Spore… but unlike Spore, this game didn’t take a long time to make. This VERSION of the game looks like it was made rather quickly.

It benefits the marketing to suggest there was some sort of continuum, where as the reality is that there were many “Duke Nukem Forever”z make by a number of different companies with different ideas of what that should mean.

This one doesn’t seem any better than the others teased along the way.

It just looks like a very same-y shooter.

6. Bill Abner March 19, 2011 at 8:39 am #

I think you nailed it. Take Duke away from this game and no one — literally — is paying attention to it.

7. Rune March 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

Did those levels look really really empty to anyone else?

To be fair, I missed Duke Nukem the first time around, so maybe it’s just something I don’t get. I was more console-focused at the time, but I got the impression over the years that Duke Nukem was kind of the Bruce Campbell of FPS heroes. I’m not getting that from any of the trailers though. Sure, he’s got a few one-liners, but they’re all pretty average.

Everything I’ve seen just looks really…well, 1998. Empty levels, gun taking up a third of the screen, fighting one enemy at a time, etc. Honestly, I’m hoping this is a tech demo and the game is still years off, because so far, I’m certainly not sold.

I dunno. I hope it turns out to be good, because I like me some good games, and I would love to finally got on board the Dukewagon, but so far I’m just not seein’ it.

8. Jayhawker March 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

What is going to save this game is the crazy weapons. What Duke is really about, beyond the cliches, is the weapons. Shrink guns and stomping on players, freeze guns and then shattering them, trip wires, Holograms, and whatever else they can come up with is what will make the game fun.

Duke was a little too early to be come a multiplayer fad. I played a few rounds back in the day, but this was long before Quakespy suddenly made multiplayer in gaming a simple process. But seriously, freezing or shrinking your opponent was crazy fun. So was trying to lure them across trip wires.

It is possible that they will have some pretty fun gameplay here that has nothing to do with how populated the levels are, or how 2011 the game looks. I think it just has to have some fun stuff to do and embrace 1998. I think there is a decent market for shooters that can escape the tropes of the modern day shooter, and rely more on gameplay over grinding your way to a higher class.

It’s definitely a wait and see game for me. But I’m really curious how people react to this game.