Jumping the Shark Podcast #86

No High Scores
Image: Filomena Scalise / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

On Jumping the Shark 86 we are joined by Cedar Hill Games founder and former Bioware designer, Tobyn Manthorpe. Cedar Hill Games just published the excellent Emissary of War for the iOS and Tobyn joins us to talk about the game, what he’s learned about iOS publishing since delivering his first game, Pistols at Dawn, and what he likes about being an independent developer. A good time was had by all, and he even stuck around for the second half of the show, in which we discuss what we’ve been playing, a list that includes Madden ’12, Deus Ex, Quarrel, the 7 Wonders board game, and Fruit Ninja. Definitely stay put for Bill’s excellent analysis of Madden.

Direct Download
iTunes Link
RSS Feed
Past Episodes
(The embedded feed is included after the break.)

9 Responses to “Jumping the Shark Podcast #86”

1. Plankton August 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I felt like this episode was just totally “old school” JTS!
    All the crew united for discussions and laughs. Bill ranting about a sports game (while Dannielle is completely quiet). Pretty sure you guys mentioned both Mass Effect and Assassin’s Creed, as you should… Board Games… it was all there.
    Tobyn was a really pleasant guest, with interesting things to say, and I loved that he stayed for the 2nd part for the show. Downloading Emissary of War right now.

2. Todd Brakke August 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Actually, some of the Danielle silence at the very end of Madden is on me/tech. Somehow the end of her audio feed got corrupted in Audacity (it didn’t start out that way), but by the time in the editing process I realized it, I was like, “The hell with it,” and just waited for the end of the Madden discussion to switch over to the Skype recording. (I don’t think she said anything during the Madden discussion anyway and it’s not obvious listening to it that anything went wrong, so I figured no harm done.)

Glad you enjoyed!

3. PCD4K0pknFb November 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

46927 63360Intending start up a enterprise around the web involves revealing marketing plus items not only to ladies locally, yet somehow to several buyers who are web-based as a rule. e-learning 935132

4. Bill Abner August 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

You missed Danielle break down the intricacies of the Cover 2? WTF?

5. DanielleRiendeau August 30, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

And I was… silenced!

But really, I think its funny that in real life, I’m actually a total jock-ette. They just don’t make lacrosse (or marathon) video games!

6. audible sigh August 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

This is what the Cedar Hill discussion reminded me of. Great episode.

7. Bill Abner August 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Heh…wow I can relate to that.

8. Todd Brakke August 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Ha! Good stuff!

9. Sushi Nao August 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

I had to shut it off when I realized you’d been talking about football for 15 minutes. While I’m not a sports fan, what it did make me realize later is that I do appreciate the degree of personal taste that you guys bring to the podcast, it opens me up to a lot of gaming experiences I wouldn’t usually hear about (board gaming, for instance). Hearing something different than the news and contemporary whatcha-been-playin, that I could get anywhere else, is part of what keeps me coming back to this site – even if it does mean I’ll occasionally have to hear about sports games. :)