Jumping the Shark Podcast #88

No High Scores
Image: Filomena Scalise / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Tom Chick subs in for sickly Danielle on Jumping the Shark #88. In addition to some continued Deus Ex conversation, some new games make their way onto our collective playlist, most notably, Space Marine, Dead Island, and Bloodrayne: Betrayal. After that, it’s all about game endings, when they detract from an otherwise great game, when they raise up an otherwise pedestrian game, and why a culminating boss-battle just isn’t necessary. Oh, and there’s a Yakaty Sax moment that’s not to be missed in this week’s outtakes. Enjoy!

Direct Download
iTunes Link
RSS Feed
Past Episodes
(The embedded feed is included after the break.)

10 Responses to “Jumping the Shark Podcast #88”

1. garion333 September 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Dead Island was on my “eventual” radar, but now I want to stop playing Red Orchestra and Disgaea 4 to play this zombie killing game. Gah! Damn you, Tom Chick. Damn you.

2. superslug September 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Can the consequence of choosing a lethal weapon just be that a bunch of people are dead now? The consequence of our choices very rarely goes beyond us. In a game where there are any number of goons for hire whether some are collected unconscious or replaced because they are dead has no reason to impact the story. It can impact how you feel about the characters actions and perhaps the perceptions of some of the people around you. In the first mission at least a few of the swat guys were angry about my kill count. I thought that was great and I am super thankful there is no stupid bar filling up to tell me about my karma.

The guys in the first mission seemed like terrorists to me, i would sneak and knock out who i could and shoot anyone who shot at me. Now I get to decide if I am ok with all the people I killed.

3. KKoh7Ugq2 November 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

178322 671393Very informative and great complex body part of articles , now that?s user pleasant (:. 554598

4. garion333 September 12, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

that you’re talking about DXHR and didn’t mean to reply to my comment. ;)

5. superslug September 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

I do that a lot, one day I will work out these comment sections.

6. themanmonkey September 12, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Good show, but I disagree on the ending of Fallout 3. Yea, the last few missions felt kinda like a wrap-up. The sacrifice felt cheap the first time and seemed kinda tacked on. I downloaded Broken Steel ASAP, but the sacrifice grew on me with other play-throughs. I like any game where you die in the end, I feel it’s a serious risk by the developer to take something you’ve built up for the last 50+ hours and kill it. I do agree completely that end games shouldn’t be about big stupid boss battles as 90% of them are and unfortunately most of the time when folks end games outside of big bosses folks complain. You can’t have it both ways.

7. superslug September 13, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

The thing that was stupid was that if fawkes is with you there is absolutely no reason to make the sacrifice. If a radioactive proof guy wasn’t there telling me it was my destiny it might have been a whole lot more interesting an end.

8. superslug September 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

That bugged me some as well though. If you are playing the good path you have probably had a strongly positive impact on wasteland. Why then is your sacrifice a better choice than the daughter of post apocalyptic privilege. I would have felt better if the option of drawing straws was given to me.

9. themanmonkey September 13, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

I agree, which is why I hated it the first time. Once I got over that I ignored Fawkes and then had the ending that I think they wanted you to have.

10. Anoctris September 16, 2011 at 7:36 am #

You brought up the point in this cast regarding how many Ultramarines we see running about throught most of the campaign.

It may be worth pointing out that during the Hive Fleet Leviathan tendril’s invasion of Tarsis Ultra (Warriors of Ultramar), only 2 company’s of Space Marines were despatched (and a SINGLE squad of Deathwatch) to bolster 2 Guard Regiments and the local PDF regiments. There was also a large-ish Battle fleet assigned to help protect the system.

So more than likely (and I can only surmise this with my greater knowledge of the 40k fluff when compared to all the recent newcomers) the rest of the 2nd Company have been deployed (probably in squads) to key points around Forge World Graia, and are involved in their own equally climatic battles against the Ork/Chaos horde, except Titus’s is the one we’re following. Why this small bit of info isn’t relayed via one of the early cutscenes is probably just an oversight. Titus’s mission is outlined however briefly – they’re the vanguard of a liberation fleet – so their task is not that dissimliar from the Pathfinders/101st/82nd Airborne during D-Day – forge ahead – take and hold – hold until relieved, and in true 40k fashion die spectactularly if the Lib fleet is late. Maybe we’ll get to play out those other stories in future DLC, but I doubt it.

Another point brought up was the toughness of SMs in relation to Orks (and you probably well know this) Space Marines in fiction differ greatly from their table top counter part. If SMs were squishy (like they’re meant to be on table) they wouldn’t provide great stories and would be little different than the flashlight army of Imperial Guard. I think the best depiciton or comparison between SM v Orks I’ve read were in Ragnar’s Claw.