Jumping the Shark Podcast #101

No High Scores
Image: Filomena Scalise / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

The the post 100 era of Jumping the Shark begins this week with episode 101 in which Bill, Brandon and I do pretty much the same sorts of stuff we’ve been doing for nearly 2 years. (I originally typed “200 years” there and isn’t that troubling?) Bill epilogues Dark Souls and begins his adventures in Saints Row 3, I finally pin down my biggest grievance with Skyrim’s gameplay and why it doesn’t appeal to me the way it probably should, and Brandon ventures back to the streets of Arkham City, while also taking a look the Infamous 2 DLC: Festival of Blood. After that it’s our most disappointing gaming moments of the year, in which we talk about burying sports games, the letdown of Dragon Age 2, and Brandon’s long list of games that were naughty to him this year.

Enjoy!

Direct Download
iTunes Link
RSS Feed
Past Episodes
(The embedded feed is included after the break.)

10 Responses to “Jumping the Shark Podcast #101”

1. garion333 December 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

I was curious to find out what sales were for DAII. Turns out that Origins did better than I expected and DAII did worse than I expected. Granted all I did was a quick search on VGChartz (ie. iffy data), but here’s what they have:

DA:O – 360 – 2.18 mil
    DA:0 – PS3 – 1.39 mil
    DAII – 360 – 0.82 mil
    DAII – PS3 – 0.49 mil

Wow. Granted, I left out pc sales as they have no idea what DD sales are, but wow is that a change or what? Effectively 60% less sales. Wow wow wow.

2. Todd Brakke December 14, 2011 at 9:33 am #

Those numbers warm my grizzled heart. Even without the PC numbers, I’d be willing to bet money Origins did better on PC than DA2 did.

3. p6UiPYaMTrqLP November 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

967408 342928Some truly good stuff on this internet web site , I like it. 579334

4. rainynight65 December 14, 2011 at 9:31 am #

Just thought I’d let you guys know that Todd is an idiot and Brandon is the smartest guy on the show…

(Just kidding ;) )

On a slightly more serious note – it was only mentioned on the side, but I baulk at the notion that finishing a game entails getting all the achievements/trophies that are in there. Achievements do absolutely nothing for me. Most of them serve as game time extension or to add artificial replayability where there is no genuine one.

In Red Dead Redemption, I have 15% of the achievements. I’ve completed the main story, I’ve done a few sidequests, I’ve seen the end credits roll after what felt like a good 25-30 hours of game time – you’re telling me I’m only 15% done with the game? No way Jose. Most of the so-called achievements I couldn’t give a crap about. ‘Kill and Skin 18 Grizzly Bears’ – and what does it add to the game? Nothing.

And yes, Dragon Age 2 is the only game I regret spending money on this year. I think I hated it about as much as Bill, only I played it for longer (about 25 hours). There came the point when I just didn’t want to subject myself to the game any more.

5. Todd Brakke December 14, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Banned.

6. Mark E December 14, 2011 at 9:45 am #

I agree, Origins was the shit on PC. I saw my friend playing it on the 360, could not figure out how he could stand it. Pulled out Baldur’s Gate view all the way.

I picked DA2 up during one of those origin cheapass sales but have yet to bother with it. I hope Bioware learns their lesson.

7. Todd Brakke December 14, 2011 at 9:47 am #

I seem to be in the minority in this particular group, but for all my own reservations, I still think DA2 is worth playing. If it weren’t for some utterly abominable pitfalls to service the mediocre gameplay, the story would be pretty decent and I did like the characters a lot. Even slutty pirate girl.

8. rainynight65 December 14, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Slutty pirate girl was the only character that actually brought some mature, slightly dirty humour into the stiff and serious cast…

9. Mark E December 14, 2011 at 9:58 am #

It really comes across like a hell of a rush job on all counts.

That said, I will give it a fair shake. Lowered expectations and price points do a lot for my acceptance of certain foibles.

10. rainynight65 December 14, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Hey, you asked for it :p