Prey 2 has not been cancelled, delayed due to “unsatisfactory progress”

prey 2 is not cancelledI’m not sure whether this deserves a sigh of relief or yet another collective holding of breath – but Prey 2, the game that turned heads at last year’s E3 is most definitely not cancelled. Publisher Bethesda put out a brief, almost scolding statement claiming that the game is still in the works – contrary to recent rumors, but it has been delayed past its 2012 launch window, due to quality concerns.

The tone is terse: “The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans.”

The game was the surprise hit of E3 2011 for plenty of folks, including the straw, who called it one of his “favorite demos from the entire show” in our GameShark coverage. Let’s hope developer Human Head can get it together for next year.

7 Responses to “Prey 2 has not been cancelled, delayed due to “unsatisfactory progress””

1. Bill Abner April 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Yep. Prey 2 looked great at E3. Fresh, original and full of cool ideas. An open world Sci-Fi Assassin’s Creed.

The big concern was the developer. They have never tried anything remotely like this so while this really sucks, it’s not a huge shock.

And Bethesda may as well cancel the damn thing because you don’t come out and say “The game currently looks like shit, it’s at least a year away, but we’d like you to pay $60 when it drops all the same.”

Those comments, to me, signal the death knell.

2. nicthaninja April 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Yeah it sounds like it’s over and if it does come out it won’t be worth playing. I was excited for this game.

I wonder if Bethesda just picks bad games to publish or it it’s something else they do. I can’t think of any Bethesda published game that was good outside of Elder Scrolls.

• Bill Abner April 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Fallout 3

After that, it does indeed get dicey

• Azureblade89 April 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

I dunno, I like Rage well enough; twenty bucks for a more than average shooter? It’s not borderlands by any means, but I like it.

3. Siberianhamster April 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

I guess they have a different set of quality standards for the 3rd party devs, but their own get a pass on making skyrim.
    I really hope they don’t scrap prey2; that demo did look good.

4. Golem Rising April 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

While this is not great news, once again I must say that I would rather get a finished game late than a half-finished game on time. I wont panic just yet.