Diablo III Auction House Explained

If you’re curious about just how the Diablo III Auction House is going to work, with all its in game gold and real life scratch, Blizzard has posted a detailed layout of how this is all going to come together. This is basically a getting started guide but I found some pretty handy info here.

Like:

Before you post your auction, you’ll see any fees that apply to your listing displayed in the center section of the Sell tab. These fees will only be charged if your auction successfully sells, and will automatically be deducted from the item’s final selling price.

There are a lot of fees involved.

So, basically, like PayPal and eBay. This all feels really dirty to me for some reason, but I suppose this is better than people going to eBay and hawking these fake swords and magical doo-dads and eBay getting the cut and not Blizzard.

Sidenote: If you spend real money on an item in Diablo III we can no longer be friends, by the way.

Really.

Thanks PA Report.

9 Responses to “Diablo III Auction House Explained”

1. Gormongous May 2, 2012 at 6:20 am #

Does that mean we’re friends right now? Like, we could get together on Saturday and do a tag-team playthrough of The Witcher 2?

Also, the sinking feeling in my gut says that you’ll be pretty short on friends once Diablo III launches. For some people, the narrative of finding the gear matters more, but most just like to see it in action and will pay to experience that as often as possible.

• jefftalor May 2, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Money is just a substitute for grinding time. If you want that great sword of awesomeness do you want to grind 10 hours or pay $10?

• BlackAdderBG May 3, 2012 at 11:31 am #

But what is the point to buy “great sword of awesomeness”?To grind “awesome great sword of awesomeness”? :D

2. SethD04 May 2, 2012 at 11:49 am #

I spent the extra $40 for the collector’s edition… the main reason being the exclusive in-game aesthetic enhancements. Are we enemies now?

• Bill Abner May 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

Hah, ok, a clarification.

I don’t begrudge anyone for spending $$ on a game. Be it an expensive CE box set or a $10 DLC. We all play and buy games here. A quick peek at my basement and the included boardgame collection says a lot about how I spend my disposable income.

That said, using real $$ to buy in game loot in a game like Diablo is the ultimate sucker bet. I have several friends who spent real $$ on WoW items — one guy dropped $110 for an item that he used for 4 days until he found a better one.

Using real $$ also mucks up the in game economy, especially when things like PvP are involved.

It’s like that scene in Evil Dead.

“It’s a trick, get an axe.”

3. Caralon May 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

What if I play Diablo and SELL my items for real money?

• Bill Abner May 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

Then we’re good. In fact — deftly played.

4. Ivan Kopecek May 2, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

Buying Diablo III to sell items in AH to pay the next expansions and SC2 … let’s see how long it will take me …

5. Averice May 3, 2012 at 4:25 am #

I didn’t like the idea at all at first, but after awhile, be it apathy or epiphany, I just stopped caring. If some people are going to have more fun that way, then that’s great good for them, I won’t be grouping with randoms, and if my friends want to buy something then well, they’re my friends.
    I’ll still be buying things off the of the gold AH, and if I ever really want something off the RMAH then I can sell gold for $$. It really just seems like buying something with US Dollars or Canadian dollery doo’s, I may be using more of one to buy it, but the end value is still the same.