Time to Kickstart Tomorrow

Our third project is now online at Kickstarter.

This is the project that I have most likely had the most direct input in its development. I urged Dirk to do the game — it was a project he had on the shelf for a while and a few months ago when we were discussing the project schedule for Conquistador, I inquired about a game that was at the time called The Next Superpower.  When Dirk started to describe the idea behind the game I was immediately interested in doing it. It’s really unlike anything I have played before.

I strongly pushed for us to make this game and wanted to help develop it.  It’s right in my wheelhouse. It has a lot of tough decisions to make and almost demands that the players at the table talk to one another. I really don’t know how you could play Tomorrow quietly. It’s a game of, “You’re hitting me with Maelificum’s Whisper Flu? OK, here ‘s a nuke.”

You can try to play the game in the shadows, trying to appease everyone but sooner or later the players will look at your country and at your population and decide that it’s time some of your people need to die. And the thing is — they are probably right. That’s when the negotiation, the pleading, the deal making, and the backstabbing kicks in.

Anyway, I posted the first run of the rules on BGG. Give them a look.I’m really excited about it.

I’d also like to once again thank Jason McMaster for doing the video editing work!

11 Responses to “Time to Kickstart Tomorrow”

1. Strangeblades December 7, 2012 at 1:01 am #

Nnnnnnuuuuuuuuke! Sorry. Congrats on getting the ball of global depopulation going! Played this at Penguincon 2012 and had a fun time killing civilians.

2. McKay December 7, 2012 at 11:32 am #

This is incredibly tempting. Might have to dig into the piggybank. Plus it’d be fun to name a disease. Barnesilitus?

• Bill Abner December 7, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Ha! He’d appreciate that I am sure.

• McKay December 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Also, when reading the comments section, Robin kind of had an interesting question. Have you guys considered trying to track down, like, Wheaton to get him to play it on Tabletop? That might seem farfetched I suppose, but I know you guys are big time and could make it happen.

• McKay December 7, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Note that this was somewhat of a joke, but it’d be sweet if you could pull it off.

• McKay December 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Also, and I know I’m talking to myself here, but you should probably update your company site. You’re still calling this game The Next Superpower, and you don’t even list The New Science under Games. Get it together Abner! :)

• Bill Abner December 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Do not get me started on the website. Believe me, I know.

As for Wheaton, yeah, we’re sending them copies of all our stuff.

3. nicthaninja December 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

This game sounds awesome. I hope you hit the stretch goal of sweet d10s.

• Bill Abner December 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

If the trend continues, we will.

Let’s hope.

• nicthaninja December 12, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I’ll be backing it after Christmas. Have to wait and see if I get TNS to determine the backer level.

• Bill Abner December 13, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I can say w/ 95% certainty that you won’t get TNS for Christmas.

I’ll likely start shipping around the 27th.